First appointment with surgeon

YankeeRose
on 11/22/10 1:02 pm - Meadville, PA
Hello! I have my first appointment with my bariatric surgeon tomorrow. Any suggestions on questions that I should ask him? Just want to make sure I cover all the bases and that he is the right surgeon for me. Any input you can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

IdaMae D.
on 11/22/10 7:52 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Good Morning:

I work in the insurance industry so I had a lot of good feedback from the companies medical directors who I have a friendly relationship with that were able to coach me on questions to ask.  Have a great visit today.  Here is the list:

• How many years have you been a bariatric surgeon?
  • Are you a board-certified bariatric surgeon?
  • Are you a member of ASBS (American Society of Bariatric Surgery)?
  • How many and what type of weight loss surgeries do you perform each year? (this shows overall skill level)
  • Based on my personal health and weight, what surgery do you recommend for me?
  • What are the advantages of this procedure?
  • What are the disadvantages of this procedure?
  • What are the risks of weight loss surgery?
  • What are the risks of this procedure?
  • How many of my type of surgery (lap-band, gastric bypass, etc.) have you performed? (An experienced surgeon should have done at least 250 of your procedure)
  • Do you perform the surgery laparoscopically or open? (If possible, laparoscopic surgery has a quicker recovery)
  • Will you perform the procedure, or an assistant?
  • Will you be in the operation room during the entire procedure?
  • Where will the surgery be performed?
  • Is the hospital or clinic a Center of Excellence?
  • How many people on the entire medical team?
  • Is everyone of the medical team licensed?
  • What pre-op testing will be done?
  • What post-op testing will be done?
  • Why don't you recommend the other procedures for me?
  • What changes will I be expected to make with regards to diet and exercise?
  • Do you have an insurance and/or financial coordinator available to patients?
  • Do you have a nutritionist available to patients?
  • Do you have a psychologist available to patients?
  • Do you have a support group for patients?
  • Do you have someone I can call if I have a question during non-office hours?
  • What is expected weight loss?
  • Ask for specific statistics regarding complications and outcomes with your particular type of surgery. They should be willing to provide the information and not try to hide any negative results.
  • If lap band surgery, what type of band? (Inamed or Johnson & Johnson)
  • Are you certified with that type of band?
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what is rate of infections? (should be less than 1%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what are your slip statistics? (should be less than 3%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, what are your erosion statistics? (should be less than 1.3%)
  • Regarding lap band surgery, are fills included in post-op care? If not, what is the cost for a fill? (many doctors provide fills for the first year if they perform the surgery)
  • Do you have patients who are willing to share their experiences with me?

IdaMae

bvohl
on 11/22/10 11:20 pm
BRAVO Ida!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

swedeville1
on 11/22/10 10:51 pm, edited 11/22/10 11:50 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
Wow, that's a great list of questions Ida!  I wish I would have had that list with me when I went to meet my surgeon.  Well informed is well armed.

Swede

BTW I was born and raised in Meadville!  Howdy!  I dont live there now but my Dad lives on patricia dr. by roche park.

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

YankeeRose
on 11/23/10 7:21 am - Meadville, PA
Wow that's close to where I live (I think). I live off of Debra Dr.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Patricia R.
on 11/22/10 11:18 pm - Perry, MI
The list Ida gave you is awesome.  The only thing I could add would be:

Once I am discharged, how do I reach you for questions or problems?  My surgeon actually gives out his cell phone number and is available via that.  That has been such a comfort.

Good luck,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

YankeeRose
on 11/23/10 7:17 am - Meadville, PA
I want to thank everyone for your replies and well wishes! My appt went very well and I feel very comfortable with my surgeon. So now after waiting 5 years to get insurance that will cover bariatic surgery, my journey begins! I am so excited! If all goes well with the pre-op appts/tests I should be looking to have surgery in February! I can't wait. Thank you all so much for your input and Ida, your list of questions was awesome! Thanks again! 

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views